The Future of eCommerce: Spatial Computing
Today, new technologies are advancing at dizzying speeds –impacting all areas of our lives, including how we shop and pay for goods and services. Spatial computing, for example, is a technology that is transforming eCommerce. Learn how spatial computing impacts eCommerce and the opportunities the technology offers the industry.
What is Spatial Computing?
The term spatial computing is an umbrella concept referring to an array of technologies rather than just a specific one. Spatial computing refers to the process of leveraging digital technology to enable computers to interact seamlessly in a 3-D world –using Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and Mixed Reality (MR). Spatial computing brings the real world and digital world together to make our reality and computer landscape intertwined. It explains how humans are increasingly stepping into the world of computers in order to engage with immersive technology, rather than interacting with it from a physical world.
How Spatial Computing Impacts eCommerce
Spatial computing technologies are used in eCommerce to deliver a more enticing shopping experience. Today, augmented reality (AR), and virtual reality (VR) applications allow customers to gain deeper and more complete information about products from the comfort of their homes. The following are some of the ways spatial computing technologies are used in eCommerce:
Offering virtual try-on solutions
VR and AR applications help online shoppers understand what they are buying and how the items will work for them without physically visiting the store. Several AR applications offer virtual try-on solutions for a range of products, including clothing, makeup, accessories, and even eyeglasses.
It can be quite challenging to tell how a product such as a couch or TV set will really look in your living room, even when you are physically looking at the item at the store. However, spatial computing through AR delivers preview placement solutions that give customers a real-time glimpse of how a product will look when placed in their own spaces. Such insights improve confidence in purchases, and increase conversion rates.
Interactive user manuals
For eCommerce businesses selling products with learning curves that new customers must master, the interactive user manual is an ideal AR solution to help users better understand how to use the product. AR interactive user manuals are designed to respond to user actions by offering on-page contextual support whenever a piece of website, software, or application is in use. AR user manual apps can scan the product and show the buttons in real-life environments with the help of graphical arrows and animations with texts.
AR filters on social media
If you have interacted with Snapchat or Instagram Stories lately, there is a high chance you have encountered AR filters. AR filters were initially used for fun, but today, several brands are leveraging them to offer a better customer experience and increase their conversions. AR filters on social media provide excellent ways to showcase a new product by enabling customers to test out how it will look on them.
The novelty factor of AR filters helps boost audience engagement while encouraging users to tag their friends in their content. And, the "wow" factor allows customers to stand out from the crowd of brands on social media and showcase what really makes them special.
What the Future Of Ecommerce Looks Like Thanks To Spatial Computing
Bridging the gap between shopping online and a physical location, spatial computing allows eCommerce players to offer their customers a greater understanding of the product they are buying online. In a nutshell, spatial computing technologies in eCommerce provide a more immersive and charming product experience that leads to an improved conversion rate. Spatial computing technology in eCommerce is here to stay.
- The market value for eCommerce AR applications stood at $30.7 billion in 2021, with over 400,000 glasses sold. It is projected to reach $ 137.14 Billion by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 57.21% from 2021 to 2028.
- Spatial computing technologies increase buyer confidence, with 71% of consumers surveyed revealing they would shop more often if they used augmented Reality. Another 61% of consumers say they prefer retailers that offer such experiences.
- Augmented Reality in online shopping increases conversion rates by a massive 40%, helps shop owners improve customer loyalty, and reduces return rates.
Spatial Computing Sets The Standard In Our World: Wayfinder Case Study
As the business world recovers from the impacts of COVID-19, spatial computing technology is at the top of the list of new age disruptive technologies we expect to impact our world in a big way. One such great spatial computing application is the Wayfinder app powered by VERSES spatial networking technology. Wayfinder utilizes spatial intelligence and AI to create a 3D twin model of a warehouse, allowing optimization of inventory location, storage space, and inventory flow for greater efficiency. The following are some benefits and features of Wayfinder:
- Improved inventory turnover: Wayfinder allows workers to pick more items within the same allotted person-hours.
- Unmatched compatibility: Wayfinder is compatible with handheld mobile devices and hands-free AR.
- 3D-visual and voice guidance: This feature allows pickers to go to the exact location of items in less time with minimal effort. It evaluates and plugs optimum routes for workers in real-time, reducing travel time between picks.
- High level of efficiency: With Wayfinder, there can be a 50% increase in daily order fulfillment across the distribution center (DC). Improvement at the DC has a positive downstream effect with customer satisfaction, retention and long-term loyalty – translating to rapid and sustained ROI and a better bottom line.
Experience Spatial Computing With Wayfinder
Spatial computing offers a large opportunity for the eCommerce industry. Simulating a real-time interaction with products and services, and delivering an immersive experience when customers are shopping on a phone or computer screen.
VERSES utilizes spatial intelligence to build smart solutions for enterprises, governments, and organizations to facilitate improved workflows, process automation, easy monitoring, and cohesive systems. Contact us today for more information about how we can boost your business.